Thursday, February 07, 2008

Lent and Laundry

I wasn't too sure if I was going to give anything up for Lent this year. It would probably be accurate to say I haven't given something up since my last semester in college ('06). I'm excited, and a bit apprehensive, about jumping back into Lent this year. I certainly don't believe it's some kind of requirement I need to participate in... but rather I feel a need to make a few small sacrifices for the sake of readying my heart for Christ's death and resurrection. For the past couple of weeks… well maybe even months… I’ve felt on the cusp of something big…. God big. I’m not sure what He has in store but I’m excited to see and am hoping my small “sacrifices” (and I mean small) will help prepare my heart for what He has waiting for me.

I have been attempting for the past 4 years to purge myself of all the crap I have been lugging around – from house to house – from one attic to another (there are currently about 5 “reasonably” small boxes being stored in my old room at my dad’s… I told you I’m trying!)

Since moving to Blacksburg I have attempted to downsize my closet. When I was in college I had a tiny closet but would switch between my summer and winter clothes by keeping one season’s wardrobe at my mom’s and the other with me at college. When I moved to Blacksburg and got married I brought all of it with me… and am now sharing a closet with Darryl, bless his heart.

I have SO MUCH when others have SO LITTLE! I need to be ready to chase after Jesus at the drop of a hat... or shirt.. or skirt... so... an article of clothing a day (and socks don't count!) gone! 40 peices of clothing... its so sad that this is going to be harder than giving up meat or some kind of food!

so.... here goes nothing… literally

No comments: