Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Holy Ground - "Jump on it"

"...One of my favorite men in Scripture is Moses. I love that God called someone who didn’t really want to be called, who fought God so much of the time only to be used greatly. I love the verse in Exodus that says, “Do not come any closer. Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground."

The only thing I can think of that made the ground holy was that God was there, speaking to His servant. I believe that God speaks to His people wherever they are, making any ground where a believer steps holy...

I have encountered God in parks. I have met Him at coffee shops. I have seen His reflection in a dark movie theater. I have felt Him while driving my car. I have known His presence by turning the pages of a novel. God is everywhere beauty is, and beauty makes things holy.

God appears as often in churches as he does in elevators and hospitals. He is in the faces of people I love just as much as He is in the faces of people I don’t. He is in the art of believers just as much as He is in the art of those who don’t know Him at all.

Might we take off our sandals more often and take a look around us. May we kneel, in the midst of a confused, broken world and rejoice in the beauty and holiness our Creator allows us. " --Andrea Bass Hope in Unexpected Places

This past weekend I found myself standing on holy ground... Our DNow 2008 - Disciple Now - was a sweet sweet reminder of where and how Christ can (and will) show up. I found God in my small group of 11 8th grade girls... I stood on holy ground during our big group sessions (all 100+ of us) and even felt His holy presence as we walked all over Blacksburg on our (hilarious) video scavenger hunt.

The craziest thing is that I felt God and saw a glimpse of heaven during the strangest moment... On our last night, after a moving message and worship experience, Darryl and Craig (our speaker - Darryl's best friend) got up on stage and began to introduce a new "game" to end the night. Well this "game" turned out to be them lip syncking and dancing along to "Jump On It." I don't know if you've ever heard this dance so I'll include the Fresh Prince of Bell Air rendition(ours was right on point) to give you an idea.



So maybe you might be asking me where was it that God showed up during our "dance party"... let me just say this... I can't tell you what its like to see 85+ kids -- from seniors in high school -- to the littlest 7th grader (she looks as old as a 6 yr. old) dancing and singing and jumping (and sweating) around together. Seriously, have you seen a typical middle/high school dance lately? There are boys on one side and girls on another -- and you're LUCKY if you see anyone dancing... I mean REALLY dancing.

I saw the shyest guy, out of the whole crowd, dancing around without an ounce of fear. I saw the "loner" who rarely smiles, throwing his hands in the air without an ounce of self doubt... I saw that little 7th grader (barely 4 ft. tall) laughing without an ounce of embarrassment.

Oh it was beautiful -- no cares -- no worries -- no embarrassment -- no doubt of self worth -- all the typical "ugliness" of those teenage years (of all our earthly years!) just seemed to fall away.

Can you see God yet?

God in the faces of youth, who for a single moment, could care less what others... what "the world"... thought of them. Dancing and laughing together. God's most precious creations finding themselves beautiful enough.. and brave enough... to just dance.

it was hilarious...
it was crazy...
it was beautiful...
it was holy.

What holy ground have you found yourself standing on recently?

2 comments:

Patti said...

was D the one that was thrown into the crowd? i love when you post! i can definitely relate to the view of kids actually acting like...kids. it's awesome! wish i could have been there, but for some reason...every time i try to get to ya...well, you know... i love and miss ya homie!

Kaylyn said...

thanks for posting this- it was a so good to be in that moment with you for a second. How incredible that must have been!