Monday, September 22, 2008

The 8th wonder of the world...

Last weekend Darryl took me on a surprise trip to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary. He wouldn't tell me where we were going until well... we got where we were going. I have always wanted to go to the Natural Bridge... it's one of those places you always pass the signs for on a trip to somewhere else but never get to stop. Think "South of the Border" on your way to Myrtle Beach-- but without the politically incorrect representation of Hispanic men -- and the creepy signs that go on for 50 miles before you get there--and the whole fact that no one in their right mind would want to stop there-- and then you have The Natural Bridge - sorta.

Anyway, ever since my freshman year of college my best friend Karly and I have wanted to visit the Natural Bridge... but our day never came... so... finally 6 years later the day came when I finally made it to the Natural Bridge...

one of the seven natural wonders of the world!
the pictures certainly do not do the place justice. Crazy to think Thomas Jefferson bought this huge plot of land for, what would be today $2.40 from the King of England.
We also got to visit a replica of a Native American village.. .
I was excited to see they had several modern amenities...



such as electricity!


We sat down for a picture at the end of the trail only to find we almost sat on top of...
a baby snake...yikes! I tried to touch it (with a stick) but Darryl yell at me before I could do it.
There was a lovely Tolkien quote along our path that day...

still round the corner
there may wait
a new road or
a secret gate;
and though i oft
have passed them by,
a day will come
at last when i
shall take the hidden
paths that run
west of the moon,
east of the sun.

We also stopped at the Natural Bridge Caverns...


there is always something a bit mysterious and creepy about going in caverns... I know I'd never want to go in one alone without a tour guide! We also made a stop at a local tourist trap but I'll have to blog about that later... it deserves a blog of it's own.







We stayed at a beautiful bed & breakfast
(another one of my favorite things)

in our own little cottage with a beautiful view
(the little blue 1 story on the right)

we went out to eat at a fancy little place in downtown Lexington...




















if you know me at all you know I have a weakness of anything "old timey"... historic little downtowns and buildings are some of my favorite things to explore and photograph.



I woke up early Saturday morning and watched the sun rise... it was a beautiful site watching the sun come over the mountains and deer and rabbits running all over the field in front of our cottage. I tried to wake sleeping beauty up but he wouldn't budge.




it was a wonderful weekend that already feels like a dream.

I certainly do have a sweet husband... thought he'd never want you to know it.

No comments: